The Committee on Diversity Initiatives (CDI) is pleased to announce the availability of the new Diversity Initiatives Endowment Career Development Award . The Society of Toxicology (SOT) recognizes that career development experiences facilitate successful entry of students into advanced degree programs and transition into the modern toxicology workforce. The Diversity Initiatives Endowment Career Development Award will enable undergraduate and graduate students to engage in additional education and career development opportunities to enhance their personal development. The SOT Diversity Initiative Endowment Fund provides this award, which is administered by the CDI. Created in 2009, the goal of this fund is to increase and retain individuals from groups underrepresented in the biomedical sciences. The deadline for award applications is January 18, 2017.
Awards of up to $1,000 per recipient may be given. Recipients are chosen based on criteria that include quality of proposed experience, relevance of the proposed professional activity to a career involving the science of toxicology, academic achievement, and recommendation by academic advisor.
Award recipients are required to provide a follow-up report, which highlights their use of the award and the value of the experience towards their career development.
Eligibility Criteria for Student Award:
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student or graduate student at an accredited US institution at time of application and the time of the activity or event
- Recommendation from your advisor at your home institution
- Member of an underrepresented group (such as, African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American including Alaskan, Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander) in the biomedical sciences as defined by National Institutes of Health
- SOT Undergraduate Student Affiliate or Graduate Student Member
- Designation of an activity that begins no sooner than one month following the application deadline of January 18
- Completion of the experience no more than one year following the deadline for which the application is submitted
Visit the SOT Awards webpage for more information on the award and application materials.