Mentor Match is an online program for Society of Toxicology (SOT) members that aims to match mentees with potential mentors who can provide guidance on career path selection, professional development, and life/work balance issues. What can Mentor Match do for you?
Why Be a Mentor?
- Share your knowledge and experience with others who are actively seeking to learn.
- Give back to SOT and the scientific community.
- You don’t have to be in a senior– or high–level position to be a mentor. Everyone has a different definition of success, and knowledge/wisdom can be gained at every level.
- Make lasting connections with toxicologists in your field, region, or component group and help advance the science of toxicology.
Why Be a Mentee?
- At any age or stage in your career, you may need guidance or perspective.
- Having a mentor means you are open to learning and growth.
- Mentors are different than bosses; you may be able to be more open about your challenges and concerns without worrying about judgment or professional repercussions.
- You don’t know what you don’t know. (When it comes to your career, usually ignorance is not bliss!)
- Mentors can help with a variety of issues, including but not limited to:
- Career path selection
- Professional development and advancement in your field
- Work/life balance
- Learning from your mentor’s mistakes may help keep you from making them!
- Mentors may help you find a job, or at least get your foot in the door. (If so, this is a favor and should not be an expectation.)
Visit Mentor Match at any time and log in or sign up with your email address and SOT password. For more information, please contact Kevin Merritt.