The Committee on Diversity Initiatives encourages Society of Toxicology (SOT) undergraduate and graduate students who are members of groups under-represented in the sciences to apply for the Diversity Initiatives Endowment Career Development Award.
The SOT recognizes that career development experiences facilitate successful entry of students into advanced degree programs and transition into the modern toxicology workforce. The Diversity Initiatives Endowment Career Development award will enable undergraduate and graduate students to engage in additional education and career development opportunities to enhance their personal development. The SOT Diversity Initiative Endowment Fund provides this award, which is administered by the Committee on Diversity Initiatives. Created in 2009, the goal of this fund is to increase and retain individuals from groups under-represented in the biomedical sciences.
Awards of up to $1,000 per recipient may be given. Recipients are chosen based on criteria that include quality of proposed experience, relevance of the proposed professional activity to a career involving the science of toxicology, academic achievement, and recommendation by an academic advisor.
Award recipients are required to provide a follow-up report, which highlights their use of the award and the value of the experience towards their career development.
Eligibility Criteria for Student Award:
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student or graduate student at an accredited US institution at time of application and the time of the activity or event
- Recommendation from your advisor at your home institution
- Member of an under-represented group in the biomedical sciences as defined by the National Institutes of Health (such as African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American including Alaskan, Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander)
- SOT Undergraduate Student Affiliate or Graduate Student Member
- Designation of an activity that begins no sooner than one month following the application deadline of February 2.
- Completion of the experience no more than one year following the deadline for which the application is submitted
Visit the SOT Awards webpage for more information on the award and application materials. The deadline for award applications is February 2, 2018.