In conjunction with the SOT Annual Meeting, the Postdoctoral Assembly conducts a unique onsite activity for graduate students and postdocs called the Poster Tours for Trainees. This event is returning for its fifth year to the 2016 SOT Annual Meeting! The PDA is currently requesting Full and Associate SOT members to sign up as guides to lead a poster tour this year.
In previous years, Poster Tours received an overwhelmingly positive response as they continue to provide graduate students and postdocs with an opportunity to shadow an expert toxicologist and take part in critical evaluation of cutting-edge toxicology methods and research findings in a field of their choosing. This event also provides an outstanding mentoring and networking opportunity for guides, postdoctoral scientists, and graduate students.
To coordinate the selection of times and topics, guides can go to the Annual Meeting website for an overview of the schedule of poster sessions. As a part of the sign up, guides will select the times (Monday through Wednesday) and topics they wish to cover with a group of trainees. Graduate students and postdoctoral scientists will then sign up for a one-hour guided poster tour with an expert toxicologist in an area of interest.
The PDA is asking guides to:
- Visit a minimum of three posters with your tour group.
- Share why you wanted to visit each poster.
- Discuss the next steps in that body of research with the tour group and the presenter.
- Ask the presenter questions that help illustrate outstanding features of the work.
- Discuss the components that participants may value in the chosen poster.
- Introduce the participants to expert colleagues as you network with them along the way.
- Feel free to offer career and networking advice to participants.
Now is your time to participate in this event—sharing expertise, networking, and advice on research and careers. Please volunteer one hour of your time to show trainees the posters you would like to visit during the SOT Annual Meeting in New Orleans. Guides may sign up from now to January 9, 2016.