The Society of Toxicology (SOT) Component Groups (Regional Chapters, Special Interest Groups, and Specialty Sections) host many webinars throughout the year. Webinars are an effective distance-learning method intended to impart scientific knowledge to members of their group as well as the SOT membership at large. These webinars are just one of the many benefits of SOT membership.
Upcoming webinars for April 2017 are listed below.
Drug Discovery Toxicology Specialty Section (DDTSS)
Topic: Careers and Opportunities in the Pharmaceutical Industry
Date and Time: Wednesday, April 5, 2017, 11:00 am–12:30 pm Eastern Time
This unique 90-minute webinar comprises two distinct presentations in which experts will discuss career development in the pharmaceutical drug discovery space.
Specific topics each speaker will discuss include:
- Personal experience and career path development (how did they get here?)
- How does discovery tox function at your current place of employment (e.g., startup biotech vs. larger pharma)?
- What skills did you learn in grad school/postdoc that you could apply to your position in drug discovery?
- How did those skills and responsibilities change over time with varying levels of experience, e.g., from starting at a junior position to increasing responsibilities, what did career progression look like (designing/running studies, sitting on project teams, portfolio oversight etc.)?
- Any sort of anecdotes/personal experiences to illustrate variety of paths and career progression in drug discovery tox?
- Comments/examples on “I vs. we” approach or comparison of individual role vs. team responsibilities in pharmaceutical industry.
There will be a 5-minute introduction from DDTSS President Ray Kemper, followed by a 20-minute presentation from each of the 2 speakers with time for questions at the end.
Registration is required.
In Vitro and Alternative Methods Specialty Section (IVAMSS) and Medical Device and Combination Product Specialty Section (MDCPSS) Joint Webinar
Topic: Use of In Silico Modelling in Pre-Clinical Testing
Date and Time: Monday, April 10, 2017, 11:00 am –2:00 pm Eastern Time
PRESENTER 1: Kim Li, PhD, DABT, MPH, Senior Manager, Amgen Inc. Thousand Oaks, California
Title: ISO 10993-1 Biological Evaluation—the Risk Management of Unstudied Extractables and Leachables (E&L) Impurities in Medical Devices and Combination Products
PRESENTER 2: Marco Viceconti, Executive Director, Insigneo Institute for in silico Medicine, The University of Sheffield and Sheffield Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Title: Animal-Specific Modelling for the 3Rs in Pre-Clinical Assessment: a Bone Drugs Example
To learn more, please visit the IVAMSS website.
Registration is required.
Risk Assessment Specialty Section (RASS)
Please visit the RASS website for more information on their monthly webinar series.
Registration for RASS webinars is not required.