SOT holds that the support and use of sound science by Congress is vital to the safety and health of all Americans. SOT has presented five separate awards for the past few years and plans to confer this honor each year to a deserving Member of Congress. Information about this award is provided below.
Assist us by submitting your nomination of one or more Members of the Congress to receive the 2013 Congressional Science Leadership Award. Please send your nomination(s) to Martha Lindauer by the close of business on October 9, 2012. Your nomination needs to include:
- Name of Member of Congress
- Basis for Nomination (100 words maximum)
Thank you for supporting SOT and sound science.
George B. Corcoran
Chair, Congressional Task Force 2009–2015
SOT Congressional Science Leadership Award
Purpose—To provide recognition of a congressional leader who demonstrates reliance upon sound science in effective decision-making related to protecting or advancing the health and safety of people, animals, and the environment.
Criteria—A congressional leader who meets one or more of the following:
- Has consistently pursued public policy or decision-making relating to health and safety that is based upon sound scientific principles;
- Has demonstrated dedication to advancing legislation for the protection of people, animals, and environmental health that is based upon sound scientific principles; and
- Has recognized and supports scientific research that increases knowledge and advances protection of people, animal, and environmental health.