Although the 2020 Annual Meeting has been canceled, SOT is continuing its commitment to delivering cutting-edge toxicological science through a series of online events dubbed the “2020 SOT Virtual Meeting.”
The first three Virtual Meeting webinars took place on March 16, 17, and 18, with hundreds of individuals taking part in these alternate-style Scientific Sessions. The enthusiasm with which these virtual sessions were met makes us hopeful as we continue to explore alternative formats for sharing the content from the meeting, and plans are underway for more webinars to take place over the coming months.
Eight additional Scientific Session webinars have been scheduled thus far, each with a robust slate of speakers who will share their expertise during these events:
- Tuesday, March 31, 1:00 PM–2:30 PM (ET)—Workshop Session: “Bringing Advances in Risk Science into Regulatory Decisions: Applying Data-Driven Uncertainty Analysis”
- Thursday, April 2, 12:00 Noon–1:30 PM (ET)—Workshop Session: “Single Cell Applications in Mechanistic Toxicology”
- Thursday, April 16, 1:00 PM–3:45 PM (ET)—Workshop Session: “Known Unknowns: Challenges and Approaches for Handling Chemical, Hazard, and Regulatory Uncertainty in Medical Device Safety Assessments”
- Tuesday, April 21, 12:00 Noon–3:45 PM (ET)—Workshop Session: “Globally Harmonized Guidance for Dose-Response Analysis and Derivation of Health-Based Guidance Values for Chemicals in Food”
- Thursday, April 23, 1:00 PM–3:45 PM (ET)—Workshop Session: “Applying Modern Toxicology to Dietary Supplements with Ancient Roots: Botanical Safety in the 21st Century”
- Tuesday, April 28, 12:00 Noon–3:45 PM (ET)—Symposium Session: “Electronic Cigarettes and Cardiovascular Toxicity: New Friend or Old Foe?”
- Tuesday, May 5, 1:00 PM–2:20 PM (ET)—Informational Session: “The Epidemic of Chronic Kidney Disease of Unknown Etiology in Agricultural Communities”
- Thursday, May 21, 1:00 PM–3:45 PM (ET)—Symposium Session: “TaRGET II Consortium: Elucidating Epigenetic Responses to the Environment across Target and Surrogate Tissues”
For the most up-to-date details on each of these webinars, including registration information, see the “Virtual Meeting Program” web page of the 2020 Annual Meeting website.
Continuing Education Courses
On April 3, the first Continuing Education (CE) courses will be presented as webinars. If you registered to attend a 2020 CE course, you will be automatically registered for the corresponding online live course. For those registrants who are unable to attend the course during the live webinar presentation, a recording of the event and course slides will be available for you to review at your leisure. If you would like to register for one of these CE courses, you will have the option to do so at the early-bird CE course registration rate for your membership or registration type. The recordings of the course webinars will be available via the CEd-Tox program in the coming months.
Eight CE courses have been scheduled to take place over the coming months, with plans underway for additional courses:
- Friday, April 3, 12:00 Noon–3:30 PM (ET)—AM04: “Introduction to Open-Access Computational Toxicology Tools”
- Friday, April 3, 2020, 12:00 Noon–3:30 PM (ET)—AM07: “The Basics of In Vitro Xenobiotic Metabolism and Drug-Drug Interaction Investigations: Applicability to All Xenobiotics”
- Friday, April 10, 2020, 12:00 Noon–3:30 PM (ET)—AM03: “Developing Therapeutics for Ocular Indications: A 20/20 View”
- Friday, April 17, 12:00 Noon–3:30 PM (ET)—AM06: “Modern Modeling Strategies to Address Uncertainty and Variability in Dose-Response Assessment”
- Friday, May 1, 12:00 Noon–3:30 PM (ET)—PM14: “The Male Reproductive Tract: Development, Toxicology, and Pathology”
- Friday, May 15, 12:00 Noon–1:00 PM (ET)—SR01: “Advances in CRISPR-Cas9 Tools and Applications for Toxicologists”
- Friday, May 15, 12:00 Noon–3:30 PM (ET)—PM10: “An Introduction to New Approach Methodologies (NAMs) and Understanding Their Potential to Support Regulatory Decisions”
- Friday, May 15, 12:00 Noon–3:30 PM (ET)—PM13: “In Vitro Approaches to Assess the Toxicity of Inhaled Substances”
The “Continuing Education” web page of the Annual Meeting website will be regularly updated with more information about the virtual CE courses as it becomes available.
The frequently asked questions related to the Annual Meeting cancellation continue to be updated and are available on the Annual Meeting website. Please consult these FAQs for more information related to exhibits, abstracts, and refunds. Please note that registration refunds for the 2020 Annual Meeting have not yet been processed but that SOT will begin processing refunds soon. If you have not yet completed the Annual Meeting Registration Request form, please do so to indicate whether you would like to transfer your registration to the 2021 Annual Meeting, donate your registration to the Society, or receive a full refund—refunds will not be processed unless the form is completed.
We hope you will take part in these and other Virtual Meeting events that are on the horizon, and we thank you for supporting the Society during these important activities.