Mentor Match is an online program for SOT members that aims to match mentees with potential mentors who can provide guidance on career path selection, professional development, and life/work balance issues. What can Mentor Match do for you?
Why Be a Mentor?
- Share your knowledge and experience with others who are actively seeking to learn.
- You may learn something, too!
- Give back to SOT and the scientific community.
- You don’t have to be in a senior or high-level position to be a mentor. Everyone has a different definition of success, and knowledge/wisdom can be gained at every level.
- You can choose the parameters of your mentorship. Want phone calls every two weeks? Emails once a month? Done.
“We’ve got a responsibility to live up to the legacy of those who came before us by doing all that we can to help those who come after us.”
– Michelle Obama
“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
– Attributed to Winston Churchill
Why Be a Mentee?
- At any age or stage in your career, you may need guidance or perspective.
- Having a mentor means you are open to learning and growth.
- Mentors are different than bosses; you may be able to be more open about your challenges and concerns without worrying about
judgment or professional repercussions.
- You don’t know what you don’t know. (When it comes to your career, usually ignorance is not bliss!)
- Mentors can help with a variety of issues, including but not limited to:
- Career path selection
- Professional development and advancement
- Work/life balance
- Unique challenges, such as dealing with difficult coworkers or feeling overwhelmed
- Learning from your mentor’s mistakes may help keep you from making them!
- Mentors may help you find a job, or at least get your foot in the door. (If so, this is a favor
and should not be an expectation.)
“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”
– Soren Kierkegaard
“Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.”
– Auguste Rodin