On behalf of the Society of Toxicology, I would like to recognize the Postdoctoral Assembly (PDA) as we celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Week, September 21–25, 2020. Created by the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), National Postdoc Appreciation Week recognizes postdocs and their accomplishments in research and scientific discovery. Please join me in recognizing the SOT Postdoctoral members, whose efforts are integral to the advancement of the Society and the discipline.
SOT depends on a diversity of perspectives to continue advancing its mission and recognizes the value that postdoctoral scholars contribute to different areas of the Society. I am proud of our postdoctoral community, which enhances not only the Society as a whole, but also its Component Groups—the SOT Specialty Sections, Regional Chapters, and Special Interest Groups. The expertise, enthusiasm, and engagement brought by the nearly 550+ postdoctoral scholars within SOT are a cornerstone of the Society.
The PDA is designed to support and meet the needs of our postdoctoral community, including providing opportunities for members to hone the leadership skills that are invaluable both within the Society and in an ever-advancing professional world. Each year, the PDA organizes events and activities to advance and support the postdoctoral community. Some of the programs supported by the PDA include:
- Career development webinars and scientific sessions;
- The Career Exploration through Speed Informational Interviews event during the SOT Annual Meeting;
- Poster Tours for Trainees, designed to foster connections between postdocs and experts and create a space for networking during the SOT Annual Meeting;
- The Best Postdoctoral Publication Award, an accolade bestowed during the Annual Meeting that is a means by which the PDA recognizes outstanding postdoctoral scholars and their accomplishments; and
- The PDA Luncheon during the Annual Meeting, which provides an opportunity for postdocs to connect and relax.
SOT postdoctoral scholars are an integral part of the SOT community—through their individual contributions and those of the collective postdoc family. During National Postdoc Appreciation Week 2020, I am pleased to represent SOT and Council in extending our appreciation for their determined effort in becoming the future leaders in toxicology.#PostdoctoralAssembly#PostdoctoralAssembly(PDA)#Postdocs