The SOT Postdoctoral Assembly (PDA) is pleased to announce that guide sign up is open until January 26 for the Poster Tours for Trainees activity that will take place during the SOT Annual Meeting. The PDA is currently looking for Full and Associate SOT members to sign up as guides to lead a poster tour this year.
In previous years, the Poster Tours have received an overwhelmingly positive response, as they provide graduate students and postdocs with an opportunity to shadow an expert toxicologist and take part in critical evaluation of cutting-edge toxicology methods and research findings in a field of their choice. This activity also provides an outstanding mentoring and networking opportunity for guides, postdoctoral scientists, and graduate students.
To coordinate the selection of times and topics, guides can use the 2024 SOT Online Planner to see the schedule of Poster Sessions. To do so, go to the “Program” section and select “Poster Session” under “Session and Activity Type” in the left-hand menu. As a part of the sign up, guides will select the times (Monday through Wednesday) and topics they wish to cover with a group of trainees. Graduate students and postdoctoral scientists will then sign up for these one-hour guided poster tours.
The PDA is asking guides to:
- Visit a minimum of three posters with their tour group
- Share why they wanted to visit each poster
- Discuss the next steps in that body of research with the tour group and the presenter
- Ask the presenter questions that help illustrate outstanding features of the work
- Discuss the components that participants may value in the chosen poster
- Introduce the participants to expert colleagues by networking with them along the way
- Offer career and networking advice to participants
Now is the time to participate in this event—sharing expertise, networking, and offering advice on research and careers. Please volunteer one hour of your time to show trainees the posters that you already plan to visit during the SOT Annual Meeting and ToxExpo. Guides may sign up now through January 26, 2024.