During the 2022 SOT Annual Meeting and ToxExpo, the Society piloted a new way to communicate with its members and those interested in the field of toxicology through the recording of InTOXicating Science Talks.
I am pleased to announce that this program will continue in 2023, and all SOT members are invited to submit proposals for InTOXicating Science Talks (watch last year’s talks). These talks are conversational presentations (along the lines of certain branded talks that are a three-letter man’s name) that showcase the motivation and inspiration behind and importance of the work being conducted by SOT members. These will not be scientific presentations but an exploration of science through storytelling and relatable experiences.
Presentations will be recorded in person during the 2023 SOT Annual Meeting and ToxExpo in downtown Nashville, Tennessee, and will be shared across the SOT communication platforms. The deadline for InTOXicating Science Talk proposals is November 30, 2022.
How to Participate
- Create a three-minute-or-less video in which you provide a short preview of your InTOXicating Science Talk by showcasing your topic and presentation style. The video quality of the submission is not important, as submissions are not expected to be polished video productions.
- Upload your video using this link no later than November 30, 2022, at 11:59 pm (US EST, UTC -5).
Tips for Successful Submissions
- Focus your talk on one aspect of your life or work.
- Choose a topic that is new, surprising, interesting, or a twist on a well-known topic.
- Develop anecdotes, analogies, or examples that illustrate and explain your chosen topic.
- Share why your topic is important—how does it have an impact?
- Determine if your talk would benefit from visuals or not—think engaging, simple slides or props.
- Rehearse before you record your submission.
Please contact SOT Communications Director Michelle Werts with any questions.
We look forward to seeing creative proposals that convey your passion for toxicology and/or unique career experiences.